Build It Yourself Semi-Portable PC Encoding Solution Build Instructions
The Build It Yourself Semi-Portable PC Encoding Solution is for Livestream customers experienced in building computers. When you buy a Build It Yourself package, Livestream does not offer support for building the Shuttles beyond the guide provided below.
Please note that we cannot guarantee changes in the hardware will be supported.
For more information on Audio, Video and Internet connections please visit Livestream Audio/Video/Internet 101
If you would prefer not to build the unit yourself and instead would like a turnkey solution, you can buy a complete package HERE.
The following are the minimum specification you need to encode HD + High + Medium + Mobile via Livestream Procaster.
- Processor: Intel(c) Core(tm) i7 2600
- Hard Disk Drive: 500 Gigabytes
- RAM: Minimum 4 Gigabytes, recommended 8 Gigabytes
- Operating System: Microsoft Window(tm) 7
- Capture card: BlackMagic Decklink Studio Card.
Shuttle Encoder Build Instructions
Parts and Tools
In order to keep your encoder safe, we recommend purchasing a Pelican Case to transport it.
- Wash your hands
Discharge static electricity by touching metal (It is important to continue discharging throughout the process)
- Remove Shuttle from box
- Unscrew the shuttle casing (3 screws around the perimeter of the back face) and remove cover by sliding back
- Remove the gel pack from inside the shuttle and discard
- Remove Optical Disk Drive/Hard Disk Drive chassis screws (2)
- Remove the chassis and set aside
- Make sure that primary and secondary power supplies are connected to the motherboard. If not, connect them
2. Install the CPU
- Remove the 4 screws holding the heat sync fan in the back of the shuttle
- Remove the heat sync fan by sliding up and place it off to the side. (it can stay attached to power)
- Remove the 4 heat sync screws and pull the heat sync out (always lift from the radiator)
- Remove the plastic cover from the CPU holder. Release and lift the CPU slot cover. DO NOT TOUCH THE CONNECTION PINS BELOW
- Remove the CPU from the box. Always handle on the silver side. DO NOT TOUCH THE GOLDEN CONNECTORS
- Line the CPU module up in its socket with the arrow on the motherboard and the arrow on the cpu pointing at each other
- Close the cover door and re-secure the latch
- Add a line of thermal paste to the top of the module and spread it out evenly over the CPU. Do not let it touch anything else outside the top of the CPU.
- Reinsert the heat sync and tighten the mother board screws
- Reinsert the heat sync fan and secure with screws
3. Install the RAM
- The shuttle comes with 4 slots for RAM (2 red, 2 yellow). When installing 2 modules, make sure to use the same color slots
- Open latches on the sides of the RAM inserts you'll be using (2 red OR 2 yellow)
- Remove the first RAM module from the case
- Line the RAM module up in the slot and push down until the latches close
- Repeat for the second RAM module
4. Install the Hard Disk Drive
Remove the Hard Disk Drive from the box
- Slide the Hard Disk Drive into the bottom slot of the drive chassis until the drive screw holes line up with the Hard Disk Drive holes on the chassis. Make sure the connection pins are towards the back of the chassis
- Secure the Hard Disk Drive (coarse thread screws provided with the Shuttle)
5. Install the Optical Disk Drive
- Remove the drive from the box
- Slide the drive into the top slot of the drive chassis until the drive screw holes line up with #1 holes on the chassis
- Secure the Optical Disk Drive (fine thread screws provided with the Shuttle)
6. Card Preparations
- Remove the cd-rom drive panel from the front cover of the Shuttle
- Untangle the power cable snake and separate necessary device power cables out. (power for the Hard Disk Drive and Optical Disk Drive)
- Slide the drive chassis back into place and ensure that the Optical Disk Drive lines up properly with the front opening on the Shuttle
- Secure the chassis with the 2 chassis screws
- Attach power cables to the Hard Disk Drive and Optical Disk Drive
- Attach the SATA cables to the Hard Disk Drive and Optical Disk Drive
7. Install the BlackMagic Design Decklink Studio Card
Remove the screws holding PCI slot covers 1 and 2
Remove the PCI slot covers
Remove the BlackMagic Design Decklink Studio card from the box
Slide the BlackMagic Design Decklink Studio card into the slot 1 opening with the BNC connectors sticking out the back of the Shuttle
- Ensure that the connections are lined up with the PCI slot and apply pressure to secure the card
- Remove the HDMI module from the box
- Slide the HDMI module into the slot 2 opening with the HDMI connectors facing out the back of the Shuttle
- Secure the card and HDMI module by screwing them into place on the outside of the Shuttle, just above the PCI slot openings
- Plug the HDMI cables into the BlackMagic Design Decklink Studio card slots. Make sure to plug the top cable into the top slot on the card, and the bottom cable into the bottom slot
8. Shuttle OS/HD Setup
- Place the cover back on the shuttle and slide it into place
- Secure the Shuttle cover with the 3 Shuttle casing screws
- Attach the shuttle to an external monitor via DVI
- Attach a mouse, keyboard, and ethernet connection to the Shuttle
- Attach a power supply to the Shuttle and power it up
- Insert the Windows 7 disk when prompted for a boot device/media. Press enter
- Follow the Installer Wizard
- Select 'Custom Install' option when prompted
- Select the Hard Disk Drive and click 'Drive Options'
- Click 'next' and let the installer run. The computer will reboot itself when complete
- Follow the Windows setup using common sense. Username and password should be filled in for security.
- Enter the product key. Select 'automatically activate windows when online'
- Use 'Recommended settings'
- Set time and date and let it finalize. The system will reboot when complete
- Remove label from Windows7 disk box and apply to side of Shuttle
- When Windows launches, insert the Shuttle Drive disk go to 'Start>Computer>Shuttle disk'
- Launch 'Setup'
- Select 'Auto Install Drive Utility' and let it run
- Skip the second install utility page by closing the page when it launches. Close Shuttle launch screen and remove the disk
- Go 'Start>Windows Update'. Select to install all 'Important' updates and the 'Intel Corp. Display' (optional) update
- Restart the computer when prompted
9. Install the Software and Finish
- Go 'Start>Windows Update' and click on 'change settings' on the left hand side of the page.
- In the dropdown menu, select 'never check for updates'. Deselect the 2 available options.
- Go to the BlackMagic Support Page and download the latest version of Blackmagic Desktop Video by entering the proper info into the form: Windows7 OS, Decklink Product Series, Decklink Studio product.
- Install the Desktop Video package
- Download the latest version of Livestream Procaster from http://www.livestream.com/platform/procaster (please note, it’s worth checking out the forum for the latest Beta)
- Install Livestream Procaster
- Optional: Now the Shuttle is ready for a stream test. Plug an active SDI feed into the BlackMagic Design Decklink Studio card and start a stream in Livestream Procaster. Let it run for at least 12hrs.